Monday, September 13, 2010

Let me take this somewhere else today...

So it's been awhile since I've read a book where I've felt compelled to rave about it in a public place.  I just reread Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, and let me tell you...it's amazing.

**I'm not writing anything about what happens specifically in the book, just talking about why the series as a whole is good, and adding some quotes in case you're worried about spoilers!!!**

I strongly believe that one day the Hunger Games series will become literature that's discussed, analyzed and .  There are so many themes, symbols, and recurring motifs (woohoo, I paid attention in high school lit!) that would be great to talk about in a book club or classroom setting.  Towards the end, it gets a little too violent for my taste, but I guess in a way it was necessary.  You are constantly in a love-hate relationship with the protagonist, and almost every significant event in the series is a complete surprise to the reader.  Love, love, love it!

Here are some of my favorite lines from Mockingjay:

"I no longer feel any allegiance to these monsters called human beings, despise being one myself"

"We're fickle, stupid beings with poor memories and a great gift for self destruction.  Although who knows? Maybe this will be it..."

"You love me.  Real, or not real?"

"...I make a list in my head of every act of goodness I've seen someone do.  It's like a game.  Repetitive. Even a little tedious...But there are much worse games to play"

Pick up Hunger Games today and give it a read!!!

1 comment:

  1. Crystal,

    I must admit that I have not been diligent with checking up on your blog;

    BUT

    I love that you keep it up.

    I have yet to read the Rick Riordan series, so I will have to bookmark MockingJay. I think I may go about it in the same fashion I did Harry Potter--- ages later. And then I fell in love with it like drugs. Le sigh.

    I miss you. A whole lot!

    MTC!
    (More to come!)

    ReplyDelete