Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I teach the Chicken Dance, I learn calligraphy

Yay! Three days of fun team teaching and learning with Kim!  

I thought I would do a brief reflection before starting my first official solo teaching tomorrow! Yikes! 

Highlights of the past three days:

~ Learning how to write ビル in calligraphy
~ A student mistaking "fish" for the work "English"
~ An amazing lunch of salmon sautéed in peanuts and peanut oil
~ Teaching 5th graders the chicken dance
~ Sharing with the world my love for tonkatsu and Oguri Shun
~ Teaching kids that sheep  Baaahhhh in America as opposed to Meeeeeeehhhh in Japan
~ Making fun of a 5th grader who felt the need to talk every time his mouth was full of food
~ Participating in various discussions (with both boys and girls) as to who is the best Arashi member

Most of the classes were participative, nice, and a lot of fun! Today's 6th graders were a little...difficult...to manage.  But it's a class of 17 boys and 7 girls... kind of crazy.  Kim does a great job with the kids, I hope to do just as well!  

The thing that is worrying me the most is this HEAT.  Schools generally have no air conditioning in Japan.  And they serve some kind of soup every day with lunch. Kids walk the halls and go to class with little towels to wipe the sweat that's dripping down their faces and water bottles to keep hydrated (so do I!)  It's pretty rough. I have to admit that yesterday after school and felt miserable...dizziness, nausea, and delirium...it wasn't pretty.  Luckily it was heat exhaustion; I made sure to drink double the amount of water I usually do today.   

Here's my ビル。 I must admit I was disappointed it wasn't a kanji character...and that I had to really put my heart into writing "building" lol.  But it was fun! 

Wish me luck tomorrow in my first lesson! XD

1 comment:

  1. Dearest Crystal,

    I love hearing your stories! And you sharing your photos. Thank you :)

    And ugh, I sweat just thinking about the summer humidity out there. I hope you are dousing yourself with mosquito repellent.

    The adventures sounds great! Keep them coming!

    remlove. <3

    ReplyDelete