Monday, August 30, 2010

School Days

So it begins!!!

Ive officially started my English lessons with the 5th and 6th graders!  My weekly Schedule kind of looks like this:

Monday--Iiyama Elementary
Tuesday--Togari Elementary
Wednesday--Iiyama Elementary
Thursday--Akitsu Elementary
Friday--Izumidai Elementary

I typically come in around 8:20 and am allowed to leave at 4:15.

My busiest day (Wed @ Iiyama) goes something like this:
Please keep in mind that all of the below take place in 90-95 degree weather + humidity... O.o

1st period, 45 min: Teach Class 6-2

2nd period, 45 min: Teach Class 6-3

20 minute school break~during this time, students are free to roam the school, play outside, etc.  Teachers gather in the break room and eat snacks.

3rd period, 45 min: Teach Class 5-2

4th period, 45 min: Teach Class 5-3

12:30, lunch time, 1hr:  Students put on their lunch clothes (yes) this entails a white smock, a white cap and a white mask.  I put on an apron and a bandana on my head!  Half of the class walks down to the kitchen to pick up lunch in large pails and bins and bring it back to the classroom.  The other half serves the food on plates until everyone has a full tray.  Then a class representative will ask everyone to please put their hands together and be thankful for the food they are about to eat.  Any left overs that were not served are politely bargained by a friendly game of rock-paper-scissors. Everyone eats EVERYTHING on their plate, whether they like it or not.  Its amazing.  I watched a poor kid today who hates vegetables eat a whole salad. Music plays over the loudspeaker indicating lunch is over and that everyone should put their hands together and be thankful for the food they ate. Next, everyone brushes their teeth with water and checks their name off a list that the teacher keeps indicating that they completed the task.  Finally, the students take their dirty dishes and empty pails down to the cafeteria as a class, and bow to the cafeteria crew thanking them for the meal. 

1:30, cleaning time, 15 minutes: Who needs janitors when you have kids? Each student is assigned a different area of the school to clean including hallways, classrooms, and bathrooms.  Some sweep, some throw out trash, some weed the gardens, and others clean the floors with rags.  I stick to sweeping.  Everyone must wear a hat while cleaning.

5th & 6th period: Free periods. During this time, I prepare for my next lessons, check my email, make copies, meet with other teachers if they are available to go over things.  Sometimes in my free periods I join other classes and observe or participate.  Last week I got to sit by the pool while the 6th graders had swimming class and put my legs in the water...it was nice!


Here is a picture of my desk at Iiyama!


My prize drawer


The stamp card the kids need to complete to get a prize from the drawer (created by Kim and stolen by me!)


The teachers office (students must stand in the doorway and request permission to enter by declaring who they are visiting) and yes do you see that ginormous heater in the middle of the room?? Can't wait for winter!


Flashcards I laminated myself!! I start my animal lesson on Wednesday :D

I'll go more into detail about my lessons in a future post!

No comments:

Post a Comment