Thursday, October 21, 2010

Rainbows and Butterflies?!


Most of the time I love being in Japan.  Other times I find myself in situations that I feel like I never would be in if I were in the US, which makes me uncomfortable, which makes me long for the comfort of home.

Most of the time I love working with children.  Other times I cannot find the patience within me to get through the day dealing with rambunctious students who don't want to pay attention in class.

Most of the time I am extremely happy with Japanese cuisine.  Other times I cannot hide the grimace on my face as I attempt to eat fried squid rings or slimy mushrooms in my soup.

This past summer I almost died of heat exhaustion.  As winter draws near, and the mornings and nights are now cold, I wonder how I'm going to get through the super wintery winter here.  

I spend most of my time trying to keep busy and occupied.  But I also spend many evenings alone with my computer, longing for my dearest of friends and wasting an immeasurable amount of time on facebook.  

I am here.  This is a decision I made.  I am here. 

The other day someone asked me if I was happy, and I immediately answered "yes!" without a thought.  I took a moment to think about my answer, and realized that I meant it... yes, I am happy. 

I also mean it when I say that sometimes living in Japan is a challenge for me.  Things are definitely not always rainbows and butterflies...but I think that's okay.  I know that I'm growing, and I know that I will look back at this experience years from now and be grateful that I took on this challenge. 

So to you and your adventure/challenge: Face it, take it all in, conquer it, and have fun in the process.  As Masami likes to say, "You're only (insert age here) once...just do it!"

ps. i miss you, everyone.


4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Masami always tells me that! But its so true! Have fun Crystal!! Enjoy it for me!! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)

    You're only one person doing an incredible thing. You're making a difference in the lives of children. It's tough, but if it was easy, then would making the difference really be worth the challenge? :) Keep being your amazing self.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (I am aware this is 1.5 months past your entry date, however...) I love you crystal and I mean it when I say that you continue to inspire me. What you've done in taking a leap of faith to try something new in life is a true testament in your process of really taking life ON. I know that you know this, but I know it helps to be reminded of it every once in a while. You are truly wonderful. Muchos besos.

    ReplyDelete